Notifications
Clear all

Can I read data from a sensor connected to a 74HC595.

9 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
WolfgangW
(@wolfgangw)
Topic starter  
Hello Community,

I'm a newbie here in electronics. My English is not perfect, but I hope I can make myself understood here. So if I express myself awkwardly, I ask for your understanding.

So the question may sound a little strange to the experienced ones.
I had watched Bill's video about the 74HC595. "74HC595 & 74HC165 Shift Registers with Arduino" from July 3rd, 2020.

@Bill: It's just amazing how well you can explain. Until now, I enjoyed every video I saw.

If I understand it correctly, the 74HC595 is actually mainly to be used as a switch that can control 8 additional devices (sensors or e.g. relays) with only a few (3) control lines. So far so good.

Now my question:
Can I use it to read out data from the sensors as such?
Example:
I have a 74HC595 with which I want to connect temperature, movement, brightness, etc. (if that is possible or useful). If that is possible, it is of course only logical to read out this data. And that is exactly the question. Is it possible to read out this data via the 74HC595?

If someone has already done something like this (I haven't found anything in any forums so far), it would be nice if someone had a little example so that I can understand it.

@ Bill: Maybe that would be worth a new tutorial?

friendly greetings to everyone and thank you in advance for your effort 
Wolfgang

If I am not here, then I am most probably somewhere else

robotBuilder
(@robotbuilder)

@wolfgangw

The 74HC595 (serial in, parallel out) can only be used for output. You can however use it to select an input device like a button switch.

For input you might use the 74HC165 (parallel in, serial out)

There are such things as bidirectional pins which is the case on some of the Arduino pins. You just set the pin for input or for output (but not both at the same time).

Temperature and brightness would be analogue inputs requiring an analogue to digital converter (ADC). The Arduino microprocessor has such pins.

ReplyQuote
WolfgangW
(@wolfgangw)
Topic starter  

@robotbuilder

Thank you very much, that is what I wanted to know. I already expected something like this.
From Arduino I know it already, but the idea was just too tempting. (I mean from the view of a beginner)

Thanks anyway, it'll bring me forward.
Have a nice weekend.

Wolfgang

ReplyQuote
(@pugwash)
Sorcerers' Apprentice

@wolfgangw

Now you know what you can't do with a 75HC595, here is a possible solution!

If you wish to read the values from multiple analogue sensors, then a bi-directional multiplexer like the CMOS CD4051, 4052 or 4053 may be the answer to your problems. It is certainly worth reading up on how to use these very basic ICs.

ReplyQuote
WolfgangW
(@wolfgangw)
Topic starter  

@pugwash

thank you very much. I appreciate it a lot to tell me about this way. I am not quite sure yet, but it might be I already own one of these. Anyway, I will read about it asap. 

Have a nice Sunday.

Wolfgang

ReplyQuote
(@pugwash)
Sorcerers' Apprentice

@wolfgangw

Here is the datasheet!

frogandtoad reacted
ReplyQuote
WolfgangW
(@wolfgangw)
Topic starter  

@pugwash

thank you again.

I already got it from that site

http://www.datasheetcatalog.net/de/katalog/p1240720.shtml

maybe you know better one

ReplyQuote
(@pugwash)
Sorcerers' Apprentice

@wolfgangw

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0xj2zt8mqq1rp6/AAAqLANW9B3-AxeBEU9Cix3ua?dl=0

Here is a link to my datasheet library. Feel free to download, it can be starting point for your own library.

ReplyQuote
WolfgangW
(@wolfgangw)
Topic starter  

@pugwash

Thank you man,

hey, I just watching German tutorial for the CD4051. And it is great. Not as perfect as Bills Tutorial, but it is my native language and that guy also explains well. This is I think exactly what I was searching for. 
The ancient greek philosopher Sokrates once said: I know that I know nothing.
But thanks to you and all the other guys I know I can learn.

ReplyQuote