Notifications
Clear all

Are there different 74HC595 models?

10 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
(@ramon)
Topic starter  

Hi, i started to make the project as shown on the video and schematic above, it's a project with 6 74HC595 shift registors and 16 RGB LEDs

So i ordered 10 shift registers from china and wired the hole project, after a lot of wiring and placing resistors I powered it up and nothing hapened 🙁 

I checked every wire, i'm electriciën so i know how to messure and check if everything is ok and so it is.

After that i made a small simple circuit with an other shift register and with only 8 LEDs and a simple example code, made it work like it should, replaced the shift register with some of the new ones from China and also nothing happends.

So there seem to be a difference to these shift registers, they are both SN74HC595 

The working one is 1838HXL E4 SN74HC595N

The NOT working ones are GM1807FSF E4 SN74HC595N

I hope someone can explain the difference.

Greetings, Ramon

Topic Tags
Sid
 Sid
(@sid)

Posted by: @ramon

replaced the shift register with some of the new ones from China and also nothing happends.

Well, until recently, I always believed that these ICs were all good thing. Then one day YouTube sent me a video (reccomendation) - never had been to that part of youtube, but... and it was about fake chips from China. Maybe I should share that link here as well -

FYI, I am not any electrician and just a basic starter or hobbyist who has been learning to make some LED cubes. Having seen that clip, I know, I have to mention - Are you really sure those chips are the ones that you needed!

Life is exploring and learning

ReplyQuote
(@ramon)
Topic starter  

@Sid

Thank you for sharing this video, i didn't realise there could be fake or simply not working chips because it's logic to me they mass produce them and maybe even test the production.

I've been measuring the original one and the ones from China, like the guy in the video does and it looks like only some of the 10 chips give almost the same resistances as the original one.

Conclusion to me; cheap, not working chips.

Now i'm gonna measure every chip and try to use the ones which might work.

THANKS!

Sid reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin

@ramon

Yes, unfortunately, the ones you picked up are known fakes - if you Google GM1807FSF E4 SN74HC595N you'll see a number of listings confirming these are counterfeits.

Like this one

And this one

And there are many more.

I know it's tempting to buy the ultra-cheap chips from China and many times it works out well. But not always, I got burned a few years back with a bag of 555 timers that are completely non-functional.

As you are in the Netherlands Ramon I'm not sure who to suggest, in North America the best places to order quality chips, and zero chance of fakes are DigiKey and Mouser. One that comes to mind is Future Electronics, I used to buy a lot from them decades ago and they are worldwide - I believe their European distribution center is in Sweden.

I'm sorry that you had to find out about fake chips the hard way, but I imagine that it wasn't a very expensive lesson. And if you know anyone who wants a bag of non-functional 555 timers to use in some art-deco project let me know!

😎

Bill

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

ReplyQuote
(@ramon)
Topic starter  

At the moment i'm done measuring every chip, i found out there where only 3 chips with some resistance and one of them had even some resistance on the Serial Input and it worked on only the half on the outputs 😓

The good thing is, the project works with the one working chip, but i can only put 2 rgb leds to it.

Thanks for the advice, i'm gonna search for working non fake chips and also thanks for the links to the recommended sellers and the reminder to order some 555 timer chips too

Ramon 

ReplyQuote
Sid
 Sid
(@sid)

Posted by: @dronebot-workshop

Yes, unfortunately, the ones you picked up are known fakes - if you Google GM1807FSF E4 SN74HC595N you'll see a number of listings confirming these are counterfeits.

Unfortunately, on many online stores (and even some of these retailer counters at my place), the text on the IC chips is almost non readable, and even if it is, there is no guarantee they will send you the same stuff.

And you have to rely on what the storekeeper or the sales person tells you.

Very recently I got myself a few of the ICs -LM358 (along with the other components) - as I wanted to make a few of the IR sensors. And the text on them - I could not find any - it is all black. But the store is my regular (if I can say that), so I trusted the seller. Now, 5 of the 8 I purchased work and because I etched boards and placed all on boards, I cannot complain - I know his reply would be - you put it on, soldered it and that might have killed the IC.

Now that I have seen video, I am in two minds - undecided.

Maybe there is some quicker way to confirm if the chips are working - at least when you are at the counter - maybe something like you can test a bulb before buying.

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin

Posted by: @sid

Maybe there is some quicker way to confirm if the chips are working - at least when you are at the counter - maybe something like you can test a bulb before buying.

Now that would be nice!

But the only way I can think of doing that would be to wire up a simple circuit that uses the chip (and is battery-powered) and have a ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) socket to hold the chip. Then pop in the questionable chips and test them out, one by one.

Again, I think the best bet is to shop from distributors who also supply the electronics industry, they have a reputation at stake so they would not risk selling fake chips. Plus why would they if they are authorized distributors for Texas Instruments or Fairchild or Microchip etc?

😎

Bill

ReplyQuote
Sid
 Sid
(@sid)

Now that would be nice!

But the only way I can think of doing that would be to wire up a simple circuit that uses the chip (and is battery-powered) and have a ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) socket to hold the chip. Then pop in the questionable chips and test them out, one by one.

Again, I think the best bet is to shop from distributors who also supply the electronics industry, they have a reputation at stake so they would not risk selling fake chips. Plus why would they if they are authorized distributors for Texas Instruments or Fairchild or Microchip etc?

😎

Bill

First, I am feeling so very elated finding your response 🙂 surely makes my day.

Going in with a battery-operated circuit sounds good and it can be on a breadboard as well (as long as the components do not fall apart).

For the IC chips, I cannot deny the fact of purchasing from an Authorized seller. The only issue is that many a times as users, we buy just a couple of those ICs. And the shipping costs make them prohibitively expensive. Might be good for those who are shop owners or resellers. I wanted to import an Really Bare Bones Arduino from a site in Europe. The cost per pcb is 7.5 USD (quite affordable) but when I add the shipping costs, they go expensive.

Note: I am from India.

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin

Note: I am from India.

One possible source for you is actually my very favorite parts source, Digikey has an Indian website. You can be absolutely sure that Digikey components are genuine.

And just like us folks here in Canada you actually get a BETTER deal on shipping than our American friends!

• On the US Digikey site, you get free shipping for orders of  $100.00 US or over.
  • On our Canadian Digikey site, you get free shipping for orders over $100.00 Canadian, which today is only $78.26 US dollars.
  • On the Indian Digikey site, you get free shipping of orders over 7,000 Indian Rupee, which today is only 95.00 US dollars.

I actually had the best Digikey order ever last week, I ordered some more Seeeduino XIAO's, a couple of XIAO carriers boards, a bunch of Adafruit QT Py processors (look for those in an upcoming article and video), and a tube of MCP23017 I2C Port Expander chips (ditto for an upcoming video and article). And the grand total before tax was.....  $100.01 CAD!  And it qualified for free shipping, and they shipped by FedEx from the US and it arrived the next day.

And, on a personal note, I'm half-Indian myself, my father was born in Delhi and was raised in Bombay (Mumbai).

😎

Bill

Sid reacted
ReplyQuote
Sid
 Sid
(@sid)

One possible source for you is actually my very favorite parts source, Digikey has an Indian website. You can be absolutely sure that Digikey components are genuine.

Wondering why I could not get them on Google! Bookmarked the link for further needs.

And, on a personal note, I'm half-Indian myself, my father was born in Delhi and was raised in Bombay (Mumbai).

I would probably have never known about this. Just curious to ask - did you ever visit India after you grew up and settled in your profession?

ReplyQuote