[Sticky] DB1 Robot Project
Guess I must be brain dead! How about the link that gets us to the picture you refer to. While I think I finally got to the "100+ Robotics Projects for Engineering Students" page that you referred to I see no pictures of robots.
I picked up five Raspberry Pi PICOs today. I think I going to try and replace the ATMEGS328s on the Motor Controller with a single PICO. Wondering if we could also replace the MEGA...would be nice to reduce the number of boards to the Jetson Nano (replacement for the Pi 4), power distribution, motor controller (PICO) and the motor driver boards. I think I read that the PICO has 2 cores. Might allow multi-threading.
I'm sure that may be possible, but I'm sticking to the separate Arduinos for now.
Steve, here’s what I might try. Currently we have the MEGA communicating to each Motor via the corresponding Motor Controller (using (I2C) channel and then the Motor Driver card. I2C communicates 1 byte at a time and you can only communicate with one motor channel at a time. This seems slow (understanding that the software will execute faster than the hardware) and in the current configuration there is a noticeable delay between the two motors starting.
My experiment will be to replace the MEGA and Motor controller with a single card (I am going to try the PICO) and the two motor driver cards with a single dual channel motor driver. Using this configuration I’ll eliminate the I2C communications and hopefully the lag time between the command and the motors turning will be reduced or eliminated.
I plan to simplify the Bill’s code and focus on basic movement and then using the encoders to keep the wheels in sync.
Last we heard, Bill was using a pair of MD10Cs. I was originally gonna do that, til I found the MDD10, which will control both motors with only one board
It has a 10A stable, and a 30A burst, and it works just fine on my Omnibot running off a motorcycle battery
It works well enough that I plan to use the same setup in my ToolBot