INA 260, trouble with an if statement

57 Posts
9 Users
59 Likes
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@frogandtoad Is this not similar to the reverse polish notation debate? I always found that sometimes RPN made sense, but other (most?) times it didn't.

IIRC, it's akin to a stack operation, push/pop

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@zander

Posted by: @zander

@frogandtoad Is this not similar to the reverse polish notation debate? I always found that sometimes RPN made sense, but other (most?) times it didn't.

No, but I'm a bit confused as to which one of my posts you are referring to actually?

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@frogandtoad The if (TRUE == X) debate

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@zander

No, but I'm a bit confused as to which one of my posts you are referring to actually?

@frogandtoad The if (TRUE == X) debate

I can't recall who mentioned this already, but you really should post examples with the correct case for C++, as to not confuse any newbies, i.e:- 'true' instead of 'TRUE'.

To answer your question, no.

In C++ there are value categories, for example, and 'lvalue' or and 'rvalue' among others.  This typically meant that an lvalue would go on the left hand side of an = operator, and an rvalue on the right.  A boolean identifier is a 'literal' and not an lvalue, therefore cannot be assigned to, and that why the compiler traps it at compile time.

It's really no different than trying to assign a value to an integer literal:

100 = 5; // fail

Does that make sense?

Cheers

Inst-Tech and Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@frogandtoad It's been about 20 yrs since I did any serious coding but it is slowly coming back, as a person on the spectrum, I don't learn the same way as most so it does take me longer. I remember the terms lvalue and rvalue and did know that 100=5 was nonsense, but the subtleties of TRUE and true in a forum context that is talking about concepts in a free wheeling manner is somewhat lost on me. I will endeavor to be 'code correct' in the future.

NOW

I just spotted this in my generated code from the arduino cloud

#define TRUE (1==1)
#define FALSE (!TRUE)

To my way of possibly incorrect understanding this violates much of what has been said. Keep in mind the code was machine generated, I did NOT type it in.

Inst-Tech reacted
ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@zander

@frogandtoad It's been about 20 yrs since I did any serious coding but it is slowly coming back, as a person on the spectrum, I don't learn the same way as most so it does take me longer. I remember the terms lvalue and rvalue and did know that 100=5 was nonsense, but the subtleties of TRUE and true in a forum context that is talking about concepts in a free wheeling manner is somewhat lost on me. I will endeavor to be 'code correct' in the future.

NOW

I just spotted this in my generated code from the arduino cloud

#define TRUE (1==1)
#define FALSE (!TRUE)

To my way of possibly incorrect understanding this violates much of what has been said. Keep in mind the code was machine generated, I did NOT type it in.

Those 2 macros are fine, because '==' is comparing equality, and thus there is no trying to assign a literal to another, and the not or negation operator '!' is simply providing the opposite being false.

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@frogandtoad I get that, but how is 1==1 different than just defining TRUE as 1, can 1==1 ever on any platform be other than 1? Isn't that syntax in street english saying 1 is equal to 1. That has to be always yes doesn't it?  Could some compier on some platform assign 0 to TRUE after evaluating 1==1?

So confused am I.

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@zander

@frogandtoad I get that, but how is 1==1 different than just defining TRUE as 1, can 1==1 ever on any platform be other than 1?

I think you're confused 🙂

The statement that '1 == 1' will always evaluate to 'true' is more correct, and portable on any platform.

Some may invent such macros for platforms that do not offer a built in boolean type.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@frogandtoad I am having trouble understanding what you are saying.

What I think you are saying is that 1==1 will always evaluate as TRUE on any platform using any compiler or interpreter. I like the concept and might use it in my own code IF what I just said is correct. I come from a background where TRUE had many representations but FALSE was always all bits off. 

I wonder why arduino puts those statements in. Do they have supported platforms that the arduino cloud runs on that define FALSE/false as something other than 0(all bits off)?

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@zander

@frogandtoad I am having trouble understanding what you are saying.

What I think you are saying is that 1==1 will always evaluate as TRUE on any platform using any compiler or interpreter. I like the concept and might use it in my own code IF what I just said is correct. I come from a background where TRUE had many representations but FALSE was always all bits off. 

I wonder why arduino puts those statements in. Do they have supported platforms that the arduino cloud runs on that define FALSE/false as something other than 0(all bits off)?

Yes.  It could be due to portability as I said, due to 'Big Endian' vs 'Little Endian' issues.

I need some sleep

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@frogandtoad Ah, yes, I forgot about the endians. I am sure they (Arduino) have a VERY good reason, I am just curious enough still at 80 to want to discover their thinking as it will very likely improve my abilities. Thank you so much for your patience, I for one really appreciate it.

ReplyQuote
ron bentley
(@ronbentley1)

HI,

I stepped out of this article a little while back because I satisfied myself how the IDE compiler treats Boolean values and conditional statements involving them.

I was surprise it was still rattling around!

Anyway, I thought I would throw a peddle in the pond for you to consider, mull over.

In summary, the IDE compiler treats false/0 as false/0 in all cases. 

Conversely it treats true or any other value other than false/0 as true

Thus:

if x is false/0 the statement !!x evaluates to false/0, and

if x is true/!=0 the statement !!x evaluates to true/1

examples:

1. !!false evaluates to false
  2. !!0 evaluates to      false
  3. !!true evaluates to  true 
  4. !!123 evaluates to  true
  5. !!-123 evaluates to true

This simple construct supports much of the arguments put forward through these posts. 

This is the sketch that demonstrates the above:

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
  bool x;
  Serial.println("\n\nx is decared as bool...\n");
  x = false;
  Serial.print("x=false,!!x=");
  Serial.println(!!x);
  x = 0;
  Serial.print("x=0,\t!!x=");
  Serial.println(!!x);
  x = true;
  Serial.print("x=true,\t!!x=");
  Serial.println(!!x);
  x = 123;
  Serial.print("x=123,\t!!x=");
  Serial.println(!!x);
  x = -123;
  Serial.print("x=-123,\t!!x=");
  Serial.println(!!x);
  Serial.flush();
  do {} while (true);
}

Hope this lands well with you all?

Cheers

PS

are all compilers created equally?  Well that's another article altogether!!

Ron Bentley
Creativity is an input to innovation and change is the output from innovation. Braden Kelley
A computer is a machine for constructing mappings from input to output. Michael Kirby
Through great input you get great output. RZA
Gauss is great but Euler rocks!!

Ron and frogandtoad reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4