2 Likes
(@pugwash)
Sorcerers' Apprentice
Topic starter  
bot1

(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin

Happy New Year to you as well!

I would love to be able to master Blender, tried several years ago but just got confused.  I wanted to learn how to create animations. And now that I have a YouTube channel I would REALLY love to be able to do that!

Maybe you can make the robot move? I could use it in my videos.

Of course, the ultimate Blender animation is, in my opinion, the classic Big Buck Bunny.  When I got my UHD television (that I bought to use with a Raspberry Pi 4) it was the first thing I watched.  If someone can create that in Blender then anything is possible.

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

ReplyQuote
(@pugwash)
Sorcerers' Apprentice
Topic starter  

@dronebot-workshop

Maybe you can make the robot move? I could use it in my videos.

It would only move like the robot in the original "Lost in Space" series if I did it!

I have only just started, and that took me about ten hours of trial and error. ? ? 

P.S. I think the eyes should be closer together!

ReplyQuote
(@pugwash)
Sorcerers' Apprentice
Topic starter  

@dronebot-workshop

Of course, the ultimate Blender animation is, in my opinion, the classic Big Buck Bunny.  When I got my UHD television (that I bought to use with a Raspberry Pi 4) it was the first thing I watched.  If someone can create that in Blender then anything is possible.

I watched that and my jaw dropped. I was looking at the Mac Mini on my desk and thinking "Wow! that is possible on that little computer". We have come a long way in 30 years, as I thought back to my first serious computer (a Nixdorf laptop with a 286 processor, ?? RAM, 20MB hard disk, and graphics that resembled a chessboard). ? 

Once I have fixed the little guys eyes and the mouth ring, which I am not happy with either, I'll send you a couple of renders from various angles in png format with an alpha background. Then you can use at will!

I have to get the basics behind me before I can even start thinking of animation. Thank heavens, not only wisdom has come with age but also patience!!

ReplyQuote
Robo Pi
(@robo-pi)
Robotics Engineer

Posted by: @dronebot-workshop

I would love to be able to master Blender, tried several years ago but just got confused.  I wanted to learn how to create animations. And now that I have a YouTube channel I would REALLY love to be able to do that!

Oh no!  We'll never see DB1 finished!  Bill will be too busy trying to animate it in Blender.

You're just like me Bill.   Can't keep your hands off the toys. ? 

I got Blender set up just to use as a 3D CAD program.  But I confess that the idea of animating the drawing is mighty tempting.  I'm sure I'll be exploring that feature at some point.  But obviously, the first place to start is to learn how to draw.  Can't animate anything that hasn't yet been drawn up.

DroneBot Workshop Robotics Engineer
James

ReplyQuote
(@pugwash)
Sorcerers' Apprentice
Topic starter  

DB1 arrested after a rough night!

Mounties always get their man

ReplyQuote
(@pugwash)
Sorcerers' Apprentice
Topic starter  

@dronebot-workshop

I have cleaned the little "fella" up a bit, but I really think we should give him a name, other than "AnonymousBot"! Perhaps this might make an interesting survey question for the community!

bot2

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@pugwash

If you pull him apart, and he looks like a washing machine, then I can't think of a better name than: "Heime" 🙂

[edit] - If you want to send me the .blend file, I can give him a good bath!

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin

Posted by: @robo-pi

Oh no!  We'll never see DB1 finished!  Bill will be too busy trying to animate it in Blender.

It would probably be faster to actually finish DB1 and then train it to learn Blender and do the work for me!

ReplyQuote
(@pugwash)
Sorcerers' Apprentice
Topic starter  
Posted by: @frogandtoad

@pugwash

If you pull him apart, and he looks like a washing machine, then I can't think of a better name than: "Heime" 🙂

[edit] - If you want to send me the .blend file, I can give him a good bath!

That must be an antipodean joke, that I don't understand. ? 

Like the Aussie who tried to buy Durex at Home Office Supplies instead of Boots.

I keep talking about stubby antennas, where I should be talking about small cans of beer! Something I forgot to bring back from Oz was a neoprene stubby holder, can't get them here!

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

Posted by: @pugwash

That must be an antipodean joke, that I don't understand. ? 

I thought the comedy serial "Get Smart" was a worldwide hit?... Heime was the Control agent robot, that Maxwell Smart (agent 86) tried to pass him off as a dismantled washing machine when the chief asked him to dismantle it, his robot friend and colleague 🙂

Benny Hill once said... "Never Assume", ...

ReplyQuote
(@pugwash)
Sorcerers' Apprentice
Topic starter  

@frogandtoad

I have heard of "Get Smart", but can't remember ever watching it. I wasn't fond of American sitcoms and only made a conscious effort to watch MASH.

I have never understood why the world found "Benny Hill" so funny and why it was our biggest TV export. As a hardened Monty Python fan and prior to that the "Goon Show", and later "Blackadder", I didn't like slapstick and preferred oral comedy.

Thank God, nobody can make stuff like Benny Hill today. They would immediately be accused of misogyny and the MeToo movement would hit them like a ton of bricks!

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin

As a hardened Monty Python fan and prior to that the "Goon Show", and later "Blackadder",

Blackadder was awesome, Rowen Atkinson at his finest. I don't watch television anymore, haven't for over a decade, but I also gravitated to British comedy over American stuff (although I do remember Get Smart. I still like many 1960's American comedies for some bizarre reason).

Had the privilege of attending a performance with John Cleese last year when he came to Montreal, personally, I think he and Rowen Atkinson are the funniest people to have walked the face of the Earth.

ReplyQuote
(@pugwash)
Sorcerers' Apprentice
Topic starter  

@dronebot-workshop

Blackadder was awesome

The whole cast was awesome. I just loved Baldrick especially

Baldrick(really exited): "Capt. Blackadder, I have written a poem!"
Blackadder(bored to tears): "Oh, really"
Baldrick "It's called The GUNS"
Blackadder: "Go on then, if you MUST!"
Baldrick: "Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom.
Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom.
Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom."
Blackadder: "Now let me guess" "Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom,!"
Baldrick: "How did you know?"

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin

I just loved Baldrick especially

And he always had a "cunning plan" too!

ReplyQuote