Using PS3 Controllers with ESP32 | Build Custom Remote Controls

91 Posts
11 Users
9 Likes
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@codecage One step forward, n+1 steps backward.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@zander

And those backwards step were off of a cliff! 😵 

SteveG

ReplyQuote
AlanL
(@alanl)

@codecage Glad you had sucess  with your TONSOM controller, the one that was advised by Double-Day for me in the UK failed and was sent back. I am now waiting for an Ebay auction to end on my bid for a genuine used Sony PS3 controller.

I had trouble with 2.0.4 and had to reinstall some libaries, then all OK

This post was modified 1 year ago by AlanL

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@alanl 

Can't try to reinstall libraries if the uninstalled and reinstalled IDE won't even load!

SteveG

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@alanl FYI @codecage The IDE is simply a wrapper around the command line for GCC. The only libraries associated with the IDE are for the built-in basic things. I have both installed and there is only one copy of the libraries that you install or download. In the attached screenshot you can see there is NO IDE specific library. Even the preferences are the same file. It's not possible to show you a screenshot, but just change something in the preferences of one IDE, save, then look at the preferences of the other IDE. They will be identical. Another way to know is there is NO sub-folder below Arduino15 that is IDE specific, the preferences are common to both.

Screenshot 2023 03 15 at 07.58.42
Screenshot 2023 03 15 at 07.51.20

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@codecage Your problem is not in the libraries, you have somehow messed up your IDE install. I don't know what OS you are using, but if it is windows just use the windows built-in tool. For Mac it requires a 3rd party tool, no idea re *nix, usually there is an uninstall.sh file.

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@zander I'm afraid you've lost me!  If it won't load how can I even see preferences?

SteveG

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@codecage True, you have a much bigger problem. This is a good time to recall what websites you visited, files downloaded, and emails opened as one of them may have caused an infection. Maybe try a different anti-malware s any you have installed may have been compromised. Using a write-protected USB device is another good approach for maintaining the integrity of emergency scanners. Good luck.

ReplyQuote
John_B
(@john_b)

I think I'm going to give up on this. I was hoping it would be a quick and easy solution, even though it's not ideal, but it's getting to be too much hassle. It obviously works with some controllers, but not others, and finding a controller that works seems to be a time consuming, expensive and frustrating activity!

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@john_b It's just the way BT is. The devices are all using the same BT chip so it is not device-related. I have worked on some BT problems for many months and then one day it just works. If I had a concrete solution I would gladly tell you but it remains a mystery to me.

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

Well if only the Shadow would chime in!

Got IDE 2.0.4 up and running again.  Uninstalled, rebooted my Win10 laptop, then installed 2.0.4 again.  Reloaded the ESP32-PS3 libraries as they seemed to have disappeared.  Now when compiling the PS3Demo.ino I get this error:

c:\Users\n4tty\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\Sketches\libraries\PS3_Controller_Host\src\Ps3Controller.cpp:3:10: fatal error: esp_bt_main.h: No such file or directory
3 | #include <esp_bt_main.h>
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

exit status 1

Yikes if it's not raining it's pouring!  I actually got this error just before uninstalling the IDE for the first time.  That's when I reinstalled and the IDE would not even start.  A search of my "C:" drive finds more than one copy of this file, but I guess IDE 2.0.4 isn't seeing any of them!

SteveG

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@codecage It says OneDrive. That's in a cloud, so if the internet is down it will not be found. That is why I keep everything local, HDD and SDD are super cheap nowadays.

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@zander Realize what could be an Internet issue, but my connection is very reliable and hasn't been much of an issue.  But it might still be a good exercise to migrate off the cloud.

SteveG

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@codecage My new MiniPC came with 500GB SSD and the entire box was under $300

ReplyQuote
(@notace)

I don't have any PS3 controllers, but I do have PS4s. Would this project work with them?

Regards

Notace

Regards
Ron in Melbourne, Australia

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 7