Using PS3 Controllers with ESP32 | Build Custom Remote Controls

91 Posts
11 Users
9 Likes
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@alanl I once had a Bluetooth device that I could not connect to, and after a lot of back and forth the manufacturer was going to replace the unit. This was a multi-hundred dollar device. Just as we were sorting out the exchange details the service counter person suggested using a different phone. I tried my wife's phone and voila it worked. Both mine and her phone were Apple iPhones, mine one year older. After that happened, my phone was also able to connect.

Bluetooth can be a bear, it is unlikely there is anything wrong with your device but it is possible. I also get similar problems with WiFi because I am surrounded by dozens of WiFi devices, I know how to fix that, still have no idea how to 'unstick' Bluetooth. Good luck.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
AlanL
(@alanl)

@john_b I tried to by the controllers that Bill sent me a link to, unfortunatly Amazon.ca dont ship to  the UK, So I sent a request to the Selles "Double Day" Today I recieved a reply "Hello,this is the same product that we have sold in British,so it can send to England and can save your postage "  and the link: "https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BRNDLNZT"

I am going to get one of these on Prime. I'll let you know if it responds to the SixAxisTool

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@alanl The "Brand" that Bill got were from Tonsum according to his link.  I have one due for delivery tomorrow.  I'll let everyone know the results one it arrives.

SteveG

ReplyQuote
AlanL
(@alanl)

@codecage Are you in the UK. Ive searched for TONSUM and cant find any, that's why I contacted Bill's supplier "Double Day" and they sent me the link to  amazon.co.uk. That is why I'm giving them a try

ReplyQuote
John_B
(@john_b)

Posted by: @alanl

@john_b I tried to by the controllers that Bill sent me a link to, unfortunatly Amazon.ca dont ship to  the UK, So I sent a request to the Selles "Double Day" Today I recieved a reply "Hello,this is the same product that we have sold in British,so it can send to England and can save your postage "  and the link: "https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BRNDLNZT"

I am going to get one of these on Prime. I'll let you know if it responds to the SixAxisTool

Thanks. It's not just whether it responds to Sixaxis, which the one I bought did. It needs to be tested with an ESP32 as well. I couldn't detect a Bluetooth signal however I tried it.

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@alanl No, I'm in the US, but when I went to the link that Bill provided for Amazon.ca, it showed a brand name of Tonsum.

SteveG

ReplyQuote
AlanL
(@alanl)

@codecage I looked for Tonsum in the UK and could not find them so Bill's supplier gave the ink to the UK version (supposedly)!

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@alanl Well let's all keep our fingers crossed!

SteveG

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@alanl FYI @codecage @john_b I will bet a coffee it won't change anything, it's normal BT shenanigans, you just have to hold your mouth the right way, stand on one leg and howl at the moon to get it to work. This is one time where resetting everything actually works BUT you need to make sure you are in a relatively quiet zone in terms of BT and WiFi. We had a device that would not connect until we had a power failure and then it worked because there was no interference (it was on battery) Good luck

p.s. Maybe a project idea, a Faraday cage large enough to hold two devices trying to connect.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

Inq reacted
ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@zander I'm beginning to think you have nailed it right on the head!

SteveG

ReplyQuote
John_B
(@john_b)

Posted by: @zander

you need to make sure you are in a relatively quiet zone in terms of BT and WiFi.

I don't use Wi-Fi, and my neighbours are some distance away as we all have big plots. The neighbours are all pretty computer illiterate, and I doubt if they have many wireless gadgets. I managed to detect a couple of BT speakers I have but rarely turn on. So I think this is a pretty quiet zone, if not totally silent!

ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)

p.s. Maybe a project idea, a Faraday cage large enough to hold two devices trying to connect.

🤣 Love it!  It works if it's by itself.  Next, you'll bring in Heisenberg and you can't look at it either.  😉 

I have a little Tello drone and I use a BlueTooth controller connecting to my phone that then sends out the WiFi that actually controls the drone as normal.  I can even put the phone in one of those Google Daydream goggles and use it FPV.  I've never had any trouble with it.  Maybe, its because I live out in the sticks.  😎 

3 lines of code = InqPortal = Complete IoT, App, Web Server w/ GUI Admin Client, WiFi Manager, Drag & Drop File Manager, OTA, Performance Metrics, Web Socket Comms, Easy App API, All running on ESP8266...
Even usable on ESP-01S - Quickest Start Guide

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

Posted by: @inq

🤣 Love it!  It works if it's by itself.  Next, you'll bring in Heisenberg and you can't look at it either.  😉 

Well hey there, you gonna need a longer string !

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

ReplyQuote
jasea
(@jasea)

I have had the MAC address problem with two PS3 controllers, I have confirmed that the cables are data cables by loading a program onto an Arduino Nano. I tried a reset of the PS3 controller and then hard coded a MAC address of 00:00:00:00:00:00 into the Demo sketch but it did not connect.

Has anyone else used the default MAC address after a reset of the PS3 controller?

Can someone with a working Sixaxis Pair Tool, Bill, try a reset of the PS3 controller and let us know what the MAC address is after this reset?

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@alanl, @dronrbot-workshop, @zander, @john_b, @jasea

I had success with my newly arrived Tonsum brand PS3 controller.  Came right up in SixaxisPairTool as 00:00:00:00:00:00!  For the fun of it, I changed master address to 01:23:45:67:89:ab, then loaded an ESP32 with the examples PS3Demo.ino using the changed master and ran through the demo program.  It worked like a champ.

The bad thing is that even though I tried to post a success message earlier it seemed not to be saved and then when trying to access the forum all I was getting was a blank page.  And even worse I was unable to compile any other PS3 controller sketches without encountering an error message about an "include" of a ".h" library.  And worse yet the 2.0.4 IDE now won't even load.

But attached is what I'm seeing in my Task Manager:

ArduinoTaskManager

So I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the IDE, same results.  Guess I'll just go back to bed!

SteveG

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 7