Notifications
Clear all

Using PS3 Controllers with ESP32 | Build Custom Remote Controls

91 Posts
11 Users
9 Likes
John_B
(@john_b)

I got the PS3Demo sketch running on an ESP32, but it wouldn't connect to my controller. I tried the MAC address I got from Sixaxis Pair Tool, and all zeros, but neither worked. I tried a Bluetooth scanner on my phone, but that didn't detect the controller. I'd seen that there are wired versions of these controllers, so opened it up to make sure there's an antenna and radio looking components inside, and there are. Reassembly is a challenge I haven't won yet! So it's making me wonder if the controller is faulty, or fake, although it looks too well made to be fake. I chose an eBay seller with 99.5% positive feedback to try to avoid rubbish and fakes!

About all I can try now is to ask on our village Facebook group if anyone has a PS3 I can try it on! I thought this would an easy, but not perfect, solution to something I need, but it's getting too complicated. Maybe I should just leave it as it is, and salvage the joysticks and any other useful components!

ReplyQuote
AlanL
(@alanl)

@john_b @dronebot-workshop

Perhaps Bill can advise on the make of the controllers he bought as they worked OK for him.

I am in the UK.

ReplyQuote
John_B
(@john_b)

Posted by: @alanl

@john_b @dronebot-workshop

Perhaps Bill can advise on the make of the controllers he bought as they worked OK for him.

I am in the UK.

I'm in the UK too, which could be a problem, as what's available here may not be exactly the same as Bill can buy.

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@alanl, @john_b, & @dronebot-workshop

I got a data capable USB cable hooked up, but I'm still getting the no device found message from the SixAxisPairTool app!

I'm stymied!! Maybe I've gotten bad controllers, but that seems too coincidental as others are also getting the same results.

SteveG

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

@codecage Try connecting the controller first and then launching the app.  I had that happen once.

But I just tried again, and it still works with both controllers I bought. Although they were supposed to be different "brands" I suspect they can out of the same factory, as the packaging and package contents were identical.

Just curious - for those who don't get a MAC address, do you get the "Windows sound" when the controller is plugged into the USB port? I mean that sound that windows makes whenever a new USB device is inserted.  As soon as I get the sound, my MAC address displays on the SixAxis Pair Tool.  I don't, however, see a game controller or any other new device in Device Manager.

For the record, I never power up the controllers first, I just insert the USB and that makes the four LEDs light up.

I thought it might be a "Windows 10 vs Windows 11" issue, but I just installed it on Windows 11 and it worked first time. The demo in the video was on Windows 10.

Sorry, not sure what more I can offer, as I don't have access to any other PS3 controllers.

😎

Bill

This post was modified 1 year ago by DroneBot Workshop

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@dronebot-workshop 

Same results.  I do get the Windows sound of discovering a new device.  In device manager I do see a "HID-compliant game controller" and an additional "USB Input Device" under the heading "Human Interface Devices."  These both disappear when the controller is unplugged from USB.

Same results under both Win10 or Win11.  Although I wasn't prompted to download any drivers.  And if I try to upgrade drivers I get the message that the latest are already loaded.

SteveG

ReplyQuote
AlanL
(@alanl)

@dronebot-workshop  & @codecage 

Could you supply a link to the controller you purchased.

I plug in the USB lead and windows makes the connecton, and shows up in device manager.

I also tried sixaxispairer and when I removed the USB the pop ups gave me the mac address (I used this address in the demo script, but it didn't work) the pop up also popped up as 'Fake'

I have also tried all of your connection permutations. 

A link for working PS3 controllers would be appreciated. 

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

@alanl Here are the links to the two that I purchased on Amazon (Canada) :

https://amzn.to/3ytk4Bq

https://amzn.to/3ZRWV7u

I got a good deal it appears, as they were two bucks cheaper when I bought them!

😎

Bill

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

the pop up also popped up as 'Fake'

Can you elaborate - I'm not sure what you mean by "the pop up also popped up as 'Fake'"

😎

Bill

ReplyQuote
AlanL
(@alanl)

1. @dronebot-workshop the sixiaxispaier has pop up messages that pop from the task bar and when I unplugged the controllers usb it popped up a message that the device was a Fake device and gave me the mac address. But the address did not work.

Alan

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

@alanl Can you supply a screenshot please? I haven't seen any popups from the pair tool.

ReplyQuote
AlanL
(@alanl)

@dronebot-workshop it wasn't Six Axis Pair tool. The pop ups came from the other tool 'sixaxispairer'

I can't send any screen shots as I have returned the controller to Amozon and uninstalled the software. 

Thanks for the links, I'll try to order the black one tomorrow,  I am hoping that they ship to the UK.

Alan

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

I am hoping that they ship to the UK.

You might find the equivalent one on the UK Amazon.

I looked around for another tool, unfortunately as the PS3 is pretty old they are rare.  I did find one for Android that allowed me to test all the controls on the controller, but it didn't give the MAC address (and was annoying to use as it was full of ads).

Of course, if you have an actual PlayStation 3 available, then you could just pair your controller with it and use that controller's MAC address.

😎

Bill

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

the other tool 'sixaxispairer'

Is that the same one that is on GitHub - https://github.com/user-none/sixaxispairer

ReplyQuote
AlanL
(@alanl)

@dronebot-workshop  Yes, but you have search for the 'exe' .

If I turned on the controller I could 'see it' as a Bluetooth device on my phone, but couldn't connect.

Alan

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 7