Clear all

Arduino GIGA R1 WiFi

26 Posts
7 Users
2 Likes
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

The most powerful Arduino yet - meet the new Arduino GIGA R1 WiFi board!

What looks like an Arduino Mega, works like an Arduino Portenta (but costs a lot less), and has a ton of exciting new features? It’s the Arduino GIGI R1 WiFi, the newest microcontroller board from Arduino.

This beast may look like a Mega 2560, but that’s where the resemblance ends. The GIGA has even more I/O ports, 76 of them. It has an integrated Real Time Clock, 16-bit Analog to Digital Converters (ADCs), 12-bit Digital to Analog Converters (DACs), and CANBUS connections. It also has a USB-A connector that you can use with a keyboard, mouse, or USB storage device.

Its STM32H747XI microcontroller has two powerful high-speed cores, and you can even run a MicroPython program in one core and an Arduino C++ program in the other. The GIGA has a Murata LBEE5KL1DX-883 radio module for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth communication.

Here is a breakdown of today's video:

00:00 - Introduction
02:23 - Arduino GIGA R1 WiFi
11:07 - Look at GIGA board
13:54 - Getting Started with the GIGA
15:46 - Fixing Linux Error
22:18 - Example - WiFiWebClient
26:45 - Real Time Clock
28:25 - RTC Manual Code & Demo
33:19 - RTC WiFi Code & Demo
36:38 - Working with USB
38:41 - Read USB Directory
41:52 - Write to USB Drive
44:23 - Read from USB Drive
46:05 - Using the ADCs
50:55 - Using the DACs - Waveform Generator
58:03 - Conclusion

While the hardware for the GIGA is nothing short of amazing, the software is currently in development. I had many issues getting it all to work. I’ll show you how to resolve these issues if you encounter them.

But software issues aside, this powerful microcontroller board will find many great applications in robotics, process control, and IoT (it’s ready for the Arduino IoT Cloud).

Hope you enjoy the video!

Bill

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

robotBuilder reacted
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

That is a possible robot controller for sure. The power consumption should be less, and if, as I understand, the two processors can be independently programmed, then one for sensors, and one for master control seems to be an obvious solution. Being able to add a DSI display, CSI camera, and USB keyboard are all pluses. However, I have not heard a cost as yet, any ideas?

EDIT: How can I2C be added? EDIT2, OOPS, there was something missing, but not I2C, can anyone remind me?

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@zander 

Figure $100+ CAD until the clones roll up on shore.

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@will Ouch. It's interesting, but not that interesting .... yet.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
byron
(@byron)
No Title

Posted by: @zander

EDIT: How can I2C be added?

You will be able to use soft i2c with bitbanging, probably on any digital pins , if theres no hardware i2c controller on the board.

ReplyQuote
byron
(@byron)
No Title

@will Ouch. It's interesting, but not that interesting .... yet.

£77.50 in the UK or 12 rpi pico W 's.  But flash the cash, moths out of the wallet and all that, your robot would just love a single board instead of the plethora of weeny ones. 😀 

This post was modified 1 year ago by byron

ReplyQuote
robotBuilder
(@robotbuilder)

@byron 

@zander

I2C pins

To enlarge image, right click image and choose Open link in new window.

arduinoGiga

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@byron It has I2C, I re-edited. In the video he mentioned something is missing but I don't remember and not ready to re-watch an hour long video yet.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@robotbuilder Yep, I re-edited my post after you posted. He said something was missing, I will need to re-watch the video to see what it was.

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@zander 

He noted that it's missing I2S and was surprised at that.

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@will Ok, I knew it was something.

ReplyQuote
robotBuilder
(@robotbuilder)

@byron It has I2C, I re-edited. In the video he mentioned something is missing but I don't remember and not ready to re-watch an hour long video yet.

You can read it instead.

https://dronebotworkshop.com/giga/

I like the animated graphic presentation with little things like the dust when the Giga is plonked down.

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

@zander

EDIT: How can I2C be added? EDIT2, OOPS, there was something missing, but not I2C, can anyone remind me?

What I said was it was missing I2S, not I2C! It actually has 3 I2C ports.

Posted by: @will

Figure $100+ CAD until the clones roll up on shore.

Yes, by the time you factor in the postage (and being the cheapskate that I am I chose the least expensive shipping option) it ran me about 100 Canadian dollars.  But as for "clones" I wouldn't bet on it.

BTW, have you folks seen the new Arduino Uno R4 that was announced yesterday? Looks like it will have a lot of the features of the GIGA, but hopefully at a more reasonable price. Put my name on the waiting list, they (there are two models) will be out in May according to Arduino.

😎

Bill

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@robotbuilder It's I2S

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@robotbuilder I lost most of my ability to read about 1980, due to a brain injury at birth so I read in short pieces. I have the answer now, thanks.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2