Clear all

Mecanum Wheel Robot Car & ESP-NOW Remote

47 Posts
9 Users
7 Likes
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

@codecage No, I missed explaining it in the video! Oops!

🤭

I'll update the article, but essentially you do need to modify the User_Setup.h file to select the TTGO T-Display instead of the generic one, which is selected by default. The procedure is exactly the same as it was for the round displays I used in an earlier video, except you select a different display and don't need to change anything else.

Make sure you have the latest version of the library, as earlier ones didn't include the TTGO display. 

Later today, I'll update the article to add more detailed instructions. Thanks for bringing it to my attention Steve!

😎

Bill

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

ReplyQuote
AlanL
(@alanl)

What board did you select for the TTGO board in the Arduino IDE?

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

@alanl I selected the ESP32 Dev Kit board.

😎

Bill

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@dronebot-workshop This might be the time to ask if a sub forum called ERRATA and an ANNOUNCEMENTS sub forum. I have helped fix several folks projects that were caused by out of date libraries and/or links. Announcements for new versions of IDE and in this era where you can buy a Pi or other parts in short supply.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@dronebot-workshop

Posted by: @dronebot-workshop

Make sure you have the latest version of the library, as earlier ones didn't include the TTGO display. 

I have version 2.4.79 of the TFT-eSPI library by Bodmer.  Is that the latest neeed?

SteveG

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

@codecage Yes, I believe that it is the latest version, and it is the one I used.

Here is what you need to do:

1. Navigate to the TFT_eSPI folder in your libraries folder (which usually lives under your Arduino folder).
  2. Look for User_Setup_Select.h and open it with a text editor.
  3. Comment out line 30, which reads #include <User_Setup.h>
  4. Uncomment line 61, which reads #include  <User_Setups/Setup25_TTGO_T_Display.h>
  5. Save the file.

That should do the trick!

The older version of the library doesn't have the TTGO entry, which is why you need the newer one.

I will update the article to add these instructions and will leave a pinned comment on the YouTube video linking to it.

😎

Bill

This post was modified 1 year ago by DroneBot Workshop

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@dronebot-workshop 

Thanks, have it updated.  My Mecanum wheel vehicle is coming from AliExpress and should be here in time to put it under the tree.  The TTGO-T-Display should arrive tomorrow.  Just don't have any idea about the NeoPixel LEDS.

SteveG

ReplyQuote
AlanL
(@alanl)

I ordered mine from the PiHut - https://thepihut.com/products/neopixel-diffused-8mm-through-hole-led-5-pack  

but they only heave 7 packs left.

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

Well, much as I really detest Mouser (right now I positively HATE Mouser) they do have them in stock.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Adafruit/1734

Ironically, I can also get them at several Canadian sources, including Abra where I bought the robot chassis. In fact, even Walmart Canada has them!  Strange, as normally it's us Canadians who can't get the parts.

😎

Bill

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@dronebot-workshop 

The JST connector on the TTGO module is just a 3.7v input from a LiPo battery?  So if size is not an issue a single 18650 would do the trick?

😎

SteveG

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@dronebot-workshop 

Or is the needed recharge current for a 18650 an issue?

😎

SteveG

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  

@codecage Actually an 18650 would be perfect, I suspect that that's exactly what it is made for. As I mentioned in the video, it has a charging current of 500ma, so you'll need a battery with a capacity of at least 800mah.

I did try it with a 500mah battery and while it worked, it also caused the corner of the board (where the charging circuitry is) to get very warm. I replaced it with a 800mah battery, and it runs cooler now.

😎

Bill

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@dronebot-workshop 

And the battery gets charged when the USB port is plugged in.  I would guess you need to make sure the "power" switch is turned on if one was included in your build of the remote.

SteveG

ReplyQuote
(@stargatefan)

Hi Bill. This is a wonderful build. I noticed at the 41:30-minute mark in your video explaining this project you show several filter capacitors (5 of them). Two of them are across the motor voltage line. Another capacitor is across the motor voltage near the power input.
The last two are across the 5 V line (I’m assuming those are for the logic level converter and the ESP32 itself). Could you perhaps tell me the values you used for the capacitors? They look fairly hefty.  Thank you.

ReplyQuote
AlanL
(@alanl)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkrFLMEDRgR6gsAzDaC5fQxZZecIdA?e=7renKj  

I had the PCB's made by JLCPCB and 3D printed the Remote case.

I have the Gerber files if anyone is intrested.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4