Here are some links.

NUC:  Intel NUC 10

Memory:  2x32GB of DDR4 RAM

SSD:  1TB M.2 SSD

SteveG

ReplyQuote
rajames429
(@rajames429)

@codecage Thank you for this.  This is a great help. 

ReplyQuote
TheOutlander
(@theoutlander)
Trusted Member

I've used portions of this excellent guide to help select & install some additional tools. That said, I opted for continuing with the RPI and/or an older laptop rather than add a NUC to my network. I'm a bit spoiled, I do have a T1700 Win10 machine I used for CAD type work, so my Developer's Workstation is a subset of the extensive list provided by Bill in the video.

"Hardware eventually fails. Software eventually works." - Michael Hartung

ReplyQuote
Wm64
 Wm64
(@wm64)

I too followed the excellent guide and build one of these Linux workstations.  I made a less powerful version using the Intel NUC 10 i3, 32 GB of Ram, and 500 GB solid state drives for both the primary and secondary drives.  I use the UBUNTU operating system. 

Question: is anyone else having difficulties with sound?  I have so far been unable to get sound out of the speakers.  Tested the speakers, and they are operational.  I am wondering if this is a Linux permission thing.  

Anyone else have this problem?   

ReplyQuote
outoftheblue1949
(@outoftheblue1949)

a work station is a great idea but why linux bill, tried mint & ubuntu found them hard work also endless passwords. surely better with windows 10 (since the death of 7).

ReplyQuote
DroneBot Workshop
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @wm64

Question: is anyone else having difficulties with sound?  I have so far been unable to get sound out of the speakers.  Tested the speakers, and they are operational.  I am wondering if this is a Linux permission thing.

Did you check the Settings to see which sound device has been set to the default output device?

Ubuntu sound

There is a TEST button as well that will help you check it out.

Also, some Linux applications (i.e. Audacity) don't always default to the default output device, which is somewhat bizarre but it does happen.

Finally, if you don't see your Default device you can try "Pulse Audio", that often is the default setting anyway.

😎

Bill

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

ReplyQuote
emersok
(@emersok)

I followed Bill's excellent tutorial and built myself a more modest version based on a NUC i5. I loaded ubuntu and have recently added ROS Noetic. I now have this acting as the remote visualiser for a Pi4 loaded with Ubuntu and ROS melodic coupled to a RPLidar. ROS was something of a mystery to me but I'm getting there. I'm really hoping that Bill will continue with his robot build and bring some of his outstanding clarity to the mysteries of using ROS.

By the way I think that I followed a process similar to that outlined by Bill above and sound works fine

Keith

ReplyQuote
Wm64
 Wm64
(@wm64)

I have tried getting sound following your advice, still not a peep.  I have managed to get the default output to show something other than "Dummy Output".  It is now HDMI digital sound.  Different, but not much assistance as the speakers are analog and not HDMI.  

I have also tried the solutions offered on the Itsfloss(dot)com website, and learned that Ubuntu has been having sound output issues since version 14. 

ReplyQuote
Ironman
(@ironman)

Built the workstation Bill described in the article and am enjoying learning Linux. But, am having issues trying to load programs to ESP32 boards in both the Arduino IDE and Platform IO. Decided the best thing to try first was to delete and reinstall both programs. However, Arduino IDE doesn't show up as installed in ubunto software. The icon is in the apps and it does launch. How do I uninstall?

ReplyQuote
noweare
(@noweare)
Estimable Member

This may not be the answer but you can give it a try

As far as loading programs you have to be part of the group dialout for access to serial ports.

usermod -a -G dialout MY_USER_NAME

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2