RCWL-0516 Microwave Proximity Sensor - With & Without Arduino

28 Posts
6 Users
10 Likes
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)

Posted by: @zander

@inq I don't remember my results, but that makes sense. Now how do I explain the units in my truck, they signal distance via colour changes.

🤣 If it's RED, means something BIG is coming at you FAST - Time to move out of the way!  

3 lines of code = InqPortal = Complete IoT, App, Web Server w/ GUI Admin Client, WiFi Manager, Drag & Drop File Manager, OTA, Performance Metrics, Web Socket Comms, Easy App API, All running on ESP8266...
Even usable on ESP-01S - Quickest Start Guide

Inst-Tech reacted
ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@inq I don't remember my results, but that makes sense. Now how do I explain the units in my truck, they signal distance via colour changes.

That's real radar. It sends out a pulse and analyzes the spectrum of the return signal. Shorter wavelengths indicate objects moving towards you (aka blue shift) and longer wavelengths indicate objects moving away from you (aka red shift). Shorter the wavelength, the faster it's coming; the longer the wavelength the faster it's receding.

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

Inst-Tech reacted
ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)

You really have one of these things in your truck?... like inside with you? or like in front-of the grill? 

Even if they say it isn't dangerous, I'm not seeing any FCC badges to that effect and I wouldn't want that going on around me all the time... giving me cataracts. 🙄

There is a story around these parts years ago that a local, town sheriff used to point the radar-gun down between his legs and pop it up to catch those speeders with radar-detectors... he later died of testicular cancer.  

3 lines of code = InqPortal = Complete IoT, App, Web Server w/ GUI Admin Client, WiFi Manager, Drag & Drop File Manager, OTA, Performance Metrics, Web Socket Comms, Easy App API, All running on ESP8266...

Inst-Tech reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@inq IIRC, those are the same images Bill used.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@inq If it's coming at me, that's done with one of the several cameras, the unit's I was referring to are at the rear for backing up and approaching from the rear side like when backing out of angled parking spaces like we have in our town. Very useful for people with stiff necks.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@inq One of what? I have sensors at the rear corners that detect objects behind and to the side. It's non ionizing radiation. Pretty sure it's not RADAR.

ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)

@inq One of what? I have sensors at the rear corners that detect objects behind and to the side. It's non ionizing radiation. Pretty sure it's not RADAR.

Actually, I was just teasing.  I think you'd be fine with them at the corner of the truck. 

But, I do believe it is true Radar in the Microwave band.

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)

Posted by: @inq
  1. Eh! 🙄  Finally found something about power 3.3V - "3.3V output is for reference only - do not use to power other devices."
  2. Same reference seemed to say it was only - 1 activity, 0 idle on the output.

Unless some inspired hardware person knows how to Hack this and dig out velocity??? 😏 

I just tested this and it only outputs exactly 3.3V, regardless of my distance from the sensor.

I don't know if the two are related, but I stumbled across this yesterday - https://www.tinytransistors.net/2020/12/20/rcwl-0515-radar-motion-sensor/

This post was modified 2 years ago by YurkshireLad

Inst-Tech and Inq reacted
ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)

@yurkshirelad - I liked that you tried and got a definitive answer.  I just don't like the answer.  😫 

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@yurkshirelad Which pin are you referring to, the outside pin labelled 3V3 or the signal out pin labelled OUT between GND and VIN?

ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)

I tested the OUT pin.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@yurkshirelad WOW, that's quite the analysis job. I didn't know you could look at the chip's guts and determine what it does. I am impressed.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@yurkshirelad Then that is the answer, it is basically an on/off switch, no smarts.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2