Notifications
Clear all

ATX Bench Power Supply - Convert a Computer Power Supply  

Page 2 / 2

TheOutlander
(@theoutlander)
Trusted Member

@secondlaw

I like it and I have all the components in my workshop, including an unused wooden box 🙂

"Hardware eventually fails. Software eventually works." - Michael Hartung

ReplyQuote
SecondLaw
(@secondlaw)

@theoutlander. That’s great. Have fun. If I ever do another one, I’d have two 12v and two 5v since that need does periodically arise. The -12v hasn’t been used yet, except for one time accidentally and that didn’t go well  

have fun!

don

ReplyQuote
Derek
(@derek)

Could the Simple Power Supply and ATX power supply be combined?  I would like to run a 12v line from the ATX power supply to the DROK 180081 Numerical Control Step Down Voltage Regulator Stabilizer.  I would then have a very flexible power supply allowing me to plug into common voltages and dial a voltage as needed.

Any thoughts or considerations?  Can I just connect it to the 12v line from the breakout terminal connector or should I get a new 12v wire from the ATX power supply and run it to the voltage regulator?

Derek

PS. Here is a quick image of what I'm thinking of with the Voltage Regulator included:

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by Derek

ReplyQuote
SecondLaw
(@secondlaw)

@derek Not sure I get it completely. Seems the ATX PS would be overkill vs a simple step-down converter powering the 180081. Maybe I am missing something. Cool looking design though.

ReplyQuote
Derek
(@derek)

@secondlaw Thanks for the reply and compliment on the design.  So, I'm just adding the Voltage Regulator from the Simple Bench Power Supply video to the ATX Bench Power Supply video.  It allows me to dial a voltage for those cases where I need say 6v or 9v.  

A little update to the enclosure I am planning on 3d printing.  The power supply is an EVGA 500W.  If anyone is interested in the STEP or STL files, just let me know.  I refined it a bit more from the photo above and rearranged things bit again.  

I am going to proceed with connecting a couple of the 12v lines with the DROK 180081 Numerical Control Step Down Voltage Regulator Stabilizer as I believe it should work without a problem.  If anyone sees and issue with that, please let me know!

ReplyQuote
Jimmy
(@jimmy)

@davidmcsweeney Hey David - your 9V option is just what I am looking for.  Great work!  Can you provide more details, like a quick circuit diagram?

ReplyQuote
SecondLaw
(@secondlaw)

Posted by: @jimmy

your 9V option is just what I am looking for

Simple Alternative if you already have your PS built. FYI: Add an inexpensive buck 12v to 9v converter (I used a variable and set to 9v). Only cost a few dollars. I used a 12V lead from the ATX.

ReplyQuote
Jimmy
(@jimmy)

Thanks - I will look at that.  I also found a simple variable circuit using LM317 that gives 0 - 9v out but at less than 2 A.  Maybe that would be enough.

ReplyQuote
Morne
(@morne)

Hi;

I started embarking on creating a power bench supply,  and I must say this tutorial was definitely one of the best i have come across,  I just need some advice.

On my PSU I attached a 10W • 10Ω • ±5% Aluminium resistor for the load on the 5v line as suggested.

However once this is connected , all the other 5v lines voltage reads 3,7v if I disconnect the resistor I get a constant measure of 5v, also this resistor after 5 minutes becomes really hot, is this normal ?

Any ideas/advice as to why i might be experiencing this ?

The PSU that i'm using is a Antec TruePower Trio TP3-430.

The +5V has a min 0.3A and a max 15A 

Thanks in Advance.

ReplyQuote
davidmcsweeney
(@davidmcsweeney)
Eminent Member

@dronebot-workshop

Hi Bill,

Well the Power Meter arrived today so I've finally completed the ATX Bench-top Power Supply and it works perfectly.

Thanks again for your fantastic videos and instructions. So easy to follow.

Here's some pictures of the finished product.

DSCN8396
DSCN8397

Keep up the good work. By the way, when are you planning on reviving the Robot project?

Cheers,

David

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by davidmcsweeney

ReplyQuote
Derek
(@derek)

Ok, from prototype to actual working unit.  This is my mashup of the ATX Bench Power Supply and the Simple Power Supply:

image0

It works and I couldn't have done it without Bill's excellent videos and articles.  Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2