ATX Bench Power Supply - Convert a Computer Power Supply

37 Posts
14 Users
7 Likes
TheOutlander
(@theoutlander)

@secondlaw

Β 

I like it and I have all the components in my workshop, including an unused wooden box πŸ™‚

"Hardware eventually fails. Software eventually works." - Michael Hartung

ReplyQuote
SecondLaw
(@secondlaw)

@theoutlander. That’s great. Have fun. If I ever do another one, I’d have two 12v and two 5v since that need does periodically arise. The -12v hasn’t been used yet, except for one time accidentally and that didn’t go well Β 

have fun!

don

Β 

TheOutlander reacted
ReplyQuote
(@derek)

Could the Simple Power Supply and ATX power supply be combined? Β I would like to run a 12v line from the ATX power supply to the DROK 180081 Numerical Control Step Down Voltage Regulator Stabilizer. Β I would then have a very flexible power supply allowing me to plug into common voltages and dial a voltage as needed.
Β 
Any thoughts or considerations? Β Can I just connect it to the 12v line from the breakout terminal connector or should I get a new 12v wire from the ATX power supply and run it to the voltage regulator?
Β 
Derek
Β 
PS. Here is a quick image of what I'm thinking of with the Voltage Regulator included:
Β 
Β 
This post was modified 3 years ago by Derek

ReplyQuote
SecondLaw
(@secondlaw)

@derek Not sure I get it completely. Seems the ATX PS would be overkill vs a simple step-down converter powering the 180081. Maybe I am missing something. Cool looking design though.

ReplyQuote
(@derek)

@secondlaw Thanks for the reply and compliment on the design. Β So, I'm just adding the Voltage Regulator from the Simple Bench Power Supply video to the ATX Bench Power Supply video. Β It allows me to dial a voltage for those cases where I need say 6v or 9v. Β 

A little update to the enclosure I am planning on 3d printing. Β The power supply is an EVGA 500W. Β If anyone is interested in the STEP or STL files, just let me know. Β I refined it a bit more from the photo above and rearranged things bit again. Β 

I am going to proceed with connecting a couple of the 12v lines with the DROK 180081 Numerical Control Step Down Voltage Regulator Stabilizer as I believe it should work without a problem. Β If anyone sees and issue with that, please let me know!

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy)

@davidmcsweeney Hey David - your 9V option is just what I am looking for.Β  Great work!Β  Can you provide more details, like a quick circuit diagram?

ReplyQuote
SecondLaw
(@secondlaw)

Posted by: @jimmy

your 9V option is just what I am looking for

Simple Alternative if you already have your PS built. FYI: Add an inexpensive buck 12v to 9v converter (I used a variable and set to 9v). Only cost a few dollars. I used a 12V lead from the ATX.

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy)

Thanks - I will look at that.Β  I also found a simple variable circuit using LM317 that gives 0 - 9v out but at less than 2 A.Β  Maybe that would be enough.

ReplyQuote
(@morne)

Hi;

Β  Β 

I started embarking on creating a power bench supply,Β  and I must say this tutorial was definitely one of the best i have come across,Β  I just need some advice.

On my PSU I attached a 10W β€’ 10Ξ© β€’ Β±5% Aluminium resistor for the load on the 5v line as suggested.

However once this is connected , all the other 5v lines voltage reads 3,7v if I disconnect the resistor I get a constant measure of 5v, also this resistor after 5 minutes becomes really hot, is this normal ?

Β 

Β Any ideas/advice as to why i might be experiencing this ?

Β 

The PSU that i'm using is a Antec TruePower Trio TP3-430.

The +5V has a min 0.3A and a max 15AΒ 

Β 

Thanks in Advance.

ReplyQuote
(@davidmcsweeney)

@dronebot-workshop

Hi Bill,

Well the Power Meter arrived today so I've finally completed the ATX Bench-top Power Supply and it works perfectly.

Thanks again for your fantastic videos and instructions. So easy to follow.

Here's some pictures of the finished product.

Β 

DSCN8396
DSCN8397

Β 

Keep up the good work. By the way, when are you planning on reviving the Robot project?

Cheers,

David

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by davidmcsweeney

Derek reacted
ReplyQuote
(@derek)

Ok, from prototype to actual working unit. Β This is my mashup of the ATX Bench Power Supply and the Simple Power Supply:

Β 

image0

Β 

It works and I couldn't have done it without Bill's excellent videos and articles. Β Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Sumanta
(@sumanta)

@dronebot-workshop

I had a small question. Is the ATX Power Supply same as the SMPS of a computer?Β 

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@sumanta

What does SMPS stand for?Β  I'm 75 and have been involved in the computer field ever since 1975 and I can't recall having ever heard that term.

SteveG

ReplyQuote
robotBuilder
(@robotbuilder)

@codecage

switch mode power supply ?

Β 

ReplyQuote
Sumanta
(@sumanta)

@robotbuilder

Yes. That's it. Is switch mode power supply the same as ATX Power Supply?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3